Search Unity

1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2017.1 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Jul 11, 2017.

1. eppz

eppz

Is there any new way to exclude folder from build?
    Managing / versioning plugin projects (both native and managed code) is still a headache.

2. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

Same issue here.
    1080 - looks nice on both 5.6 and 2017.1
    720(5.6) - looks nice
    720(2017.1) - looks really janky

There is a new option in the Quality Settings - Resolution Scaling Fixed DPI Factor
    But it doesn't change anything.

3. eppz

eppz

I've shocked before, but since 5.3.2 you can exclude files and folders from build with "~" suffix.
    See 5.3.2 Release Notes (687655), and the updated Unity - Manual: Special folder names.

4. LHGameStudio

LHGameStudio

Yes this is really a big problem. 2017.1 is unusable for standalone build. How we can solve this?
    Lower resolution than native is unusable.

JamesArndt likes this.
  5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2017.1 is the king of hiccups and this is new because in 5.6 playback in the editor was silky smooth. Some hiccups have to do with compute shader variants which hogs up 2 full seconds so I logged bug 931625

6. johnartune

johnartune

Segment Scale Compensation problerms:
    Rigging in Maya and the joints have segment scale compensation, but when I import to unity still have no segment scale compensation joints. same as before wrong joints scale animation.

7. jvhgamer

jvhgamer

Great! Excited to check it out, but I have to be honest. This sentence has me in a funk. Is now available and read the notes... something seems off.

8. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi

You were right. I set BuildOptions to None (so the compression is not using LZ4) and the APK is the same size as Unity 5.6.2.
    Thank you

9. angel_m

angel_m

I am still with 5.1.4 because I never got the same performance in my project with any 5.X later version.
    I suppose Unity 2017.1 is much worse like in every major update.
    First priority must be performance (and less bugs) not fancy new features.

Quatum1000, John3D, MrEsquire and 2 others like this.
  10. elbows

elbows

There would be a ton more moaning on the forum if this were generally true, as opposed to being true for specific projects or features or hardware/platforms. So, much more information required, because for me 5.x saw performance improvements and smoother editor behaviour over the life of 5.x, and 2017.1 and .2 beta also perform very well for me.

11. John3D

John3D

I will try the latest version of Unity soon. Thanks!

12. jdth

jdth

Awesome that it has scripting runtime support for .NET 4.6. However, I am still having the same issue with the Api Compatibility Level that only targets .NET 2.0 or .NET 2.0 subset (using MacOS), if I use Windows it works fine..

Any ideas on how to solve that? Is that something that should be working with the new version of Unity?

-------- Solved creating a Local copy. Careful when dealing with Cloud versions!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  13. yoonitee

yoonitee

Great news! \:)/

BTW. VideoComponent not working for OSX 10.9.5. (Symbol not found: _CMTimeMultiplyByRatio). I've submitted a bug.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks man good find...

15. yoonitee

yoonitee

Are there any tutorials for the timeline feature?

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And even in Unity 2017, there is still no native way to have lightmaps on prefabs. I am using the script and the overexposure is STILL HAPPENING, making my levels unable to be lit.

17. GamerPET

GamerPET

Gotta love how the fist comment in this topic is something negative. ALWAYS with the negativy.

18. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Indirect resolution is only used when doing Enlighten lightmap bakes. The progressive lightmapper is not using that value, as it is doing path tracing instead of radiosity.

19. caiojahara

caiojahara

20. LavapotionNiklas

LavapotionNiklas

I tried upgrading to 2017.1, but there's a bug with the Test Runner that makes the Editor freeze every time.
    It also stops all the Unity Cloud Builds from working, since I believe they suffer from the same problem when running our unit tests. So we had to go back to 5.6.2.

I've tested it on Windows 10 and the latest version of 2017.1 - and it only seems to happen when having a lot of unit tests(500+).
    Also created a bug ticket with case number: 935125

If anyone want to try and reproduce it, I've attached a script that generates a thousand dummy tests. Just put it in an Editor Folder in a new project and press navigation bar->TestGenerator->Generate and run a test and everything will freeze.

I would love to see this fixed as soon as possible - since it blocks us from updating. I don't want to start removing tests or comment them out just to be able to build the game. That would go against every fiber of my being ;)

Attached Files:

21. dikkeduif

dikkeduif

Hi congrats with the new release!

I was wondering if right to left text support was added, such as Hebrew or Arabic, or if this is coming in one of the updates at a later stage? I have a solution for multi line right to left text, but a native solution would be more than welcome!

22. PaulusLimma

PaulusLimma

I didn't get C# 6 features in Visual Studio too. Code with ie. null propagation compiled fine in Unity, but editor underlined it. Solved this by modifying .csproj files. Change line
    <LangVersion Condition=" '$(VisualStudioVersion)' != '10.0' ">4</LangVersion>
    to
    <LangVersion Condition=" '$(VisualStudioVersion)' != '10.0' ">6</LangVersion>

23. jdscogin

jdscogin

When you open an new project and then try to save it, it selects the Asset folder, then after compiling it, it says you can't save in Asset folder. Why did it pick Asset folder in the first place. I don't think it did before 2017. Thanks

24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unity 5.6.3 is out, for those guys who care...

nxrighthere and larku like this.
  25. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

I'm using 2017 with .Net 4.6 now and it all seems to work well. Upgrading didn't cause any major issues. Just one tine thing, which I do not know if it is intentional or not. It seems the decimal separator changes to ',' for me when switching to 4.6 backend in the editor. It also changes the default .ToString() result for doubles to include ',' instead which caused some funny bugs for me before I could figure out what was causing it and added invariant culture as parameter.

Is this a bug? If so I'll submit a bug report! Is it a setting? Is so, can I please have my '.' decimal separators back? :D
    My OS is on a culture setting which uses ',' as separator, but I prefer not to use it in Unity if I do not have to.

26. Baste

Baste

There was another thread that mentioned this. There seems to be a change where Unity uses the user's culture instead of an English one. See here.

Mikael-H likes this.
  27. c17vfx

c17vfx

soft shadows no options

28. adrian-lupsan

adrian-lupsan

The "Interior collision" option for particles was removed... why? :\

29. mattis89

mattis89

We dont need a new terrain system. We have gaia and cts.. what we need is bugfixes for the rigidbody and character controller.. the endless crashes I experience ...

Quatum1000 likes this.
  30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

We dont need features that are done better by others in the asset store.. hence they bought text mesh pro, a good example. We need performance and bug fixes I agree..

TTTTTa and Quatum1000 like this.
  31. indieDoroid

indieDoroid

Is anyone else having jittering in their animations when using blend states?

32. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Did you tried Net4.6 ? For me 2017 hiccups reduce from 60to55 frames to 60to59 frames on an totally empty project with a camera only.

33. GB51

GB51

I've been away from things for a few weeks and having decided to give Unity 2017.1 a try, particularly Unity 2017.1p3 and 4, I was pleasantly surprised by the huge performance boost! Unlike Unity 5.6 and prior, micro-stuttering and choppy behavior now happily seems to be finally a thing of the past, at least for the most part! My current projects now run very smoothly and noticeably faster on lower settings on my Intel n2830, Intel HD powered machine even at full-screen resolution! And, as expected, runs ultra-smoothly on my Intel i7 quad core, GTX 960 GPU; all that without really any optimizations applied at all! My projects are not too graphics intensive, but do make heavy use of physics along with some simple AI! Impressive to say the least!

Prior to this experience, I was giving Unity some serious doubt as to its usefulness as a professional tool of choice for indie game development. I became even more disenchanted after learning of gamers downloading Unity games from Steam complaining of major micro-stuttering and choppy behavior. Now that Unity has addressed most of these issues, developers can now concentrate on developing great games without having to concern themselves so much with optimization even though that will still be an important factor for producing high quality games!

Thank you, Unity!

34. GB51

GB51

I was also having some performance issues before using .net 4.6.
    I'll be working on some of those issues myself; hopefully find a solution fast for those!

35. GB51

GB51

Would you happen to be using a shared Intel GPU by any chance as I am?